Saturday, February 26, 2011

Best Writing (Original Screenplay)

WHO I'D PICK:

CHRISTOPHER NOLAN- INCEPTION

Another movie I caught flack for being opinionated about.  I'm sorry, but I fail to see how Inception tops Nolan's masterpieces Memento and The Dark Knight (the ignoring of the latter at the Oscars two years ago may be a good reason for this one's nod).  However, I must admit that the premise of this mind-bending thrill ride is pretty cool, and it has a strong cast of deeply developed characters to boot. In my view, this one puts the Matrix to shame.  My beef with Inception was all the hype it got, I truly believe the material to be well worth it's weight in Oscar gold.  

FAVORITE MOMENT: The multi-layered consequences of dream interaction involve a car flipping on its head with a fearless Joseph Gordon Levitt battling constructs in a rotating hallway.  What else?

WHO THEY'LL PICK (PROBABLY):

DAVID SEIDLER- THE KING'S SPEECH

King's Speech is interesting, has well-rounded characters, and dialogue that says so much, sometimes, forgive the pun, by saying so l-l-l-l-l-little.  Keep in mind that, although lauded, Inception is still just another summer blockbuster, something Academy voters have a hard time marking the box for.  One the other hand, who really knew anything about King's Speech before the nominees were announced?  The independent edge, as well as the many mentioned cliches of voting trends, give King's Speech a big head start in this race, but I do believe that things could get interesting.

FAVORITE MOMENT: Is it sad I kind of enjoy Bertie's frustrating string of profanity in a particularly hot blooded therapy session?

No comments:

Post a Comment