Saturday, February 26, 2011

Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

WHO I'D PICK:

AARON SORKIN- THE SOCIAL NETWORK

Aaron Sorkin doesn't have a lot of screen credits to his name.  But what he lacks in quantity...you get the rest.  Sorkin was able to turn several what I'm sure were boring meetings with lawyers, ex-girlfriends, and ex-friends into an interesting and spellbinding mosaic on interaction.  The dialogue is flawless, and few things are out of place in the structure of the story.  Sorkin sucked us in with a movie with hardly any violence, action, or many other things we deem entertaining.  That's skill, and I hope he's got something funny lined up for his speech.

FAVORITE MOMENT: The Winklvoss twins debate on the action to take with backstabbing partner Mark Zuckerberg.

WHO THEY'LL PICK (PROBABLY): 

AARON SORKIN- THE SOCIAL NETWORK

It's too brilliant to pass up, and the competition is surprisingly stale.  Winter's Bone is a depressingly bland story that failed to make a point with me.  Toy Story 3 is just dealing with issues already solved in the two previous installments.  True Grit, though I do love the Coen brothers, is a modernized rehash of the original, with very little original input as far as I can tell.  Lastly, 127 Hours is not by any means an audio movie, it is a visual film, and while I haven't read the screenplay, I believe it's fairly impossible to capture the beautiful desert on paper the way they do in the movie.  But hey, you do let your main character talk to himself quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment