Friday, February 25, 2011

Best Director

WHO I'D PICK

DARREN ARONOFSKY- BLACK SWAN

Hear me out.  There is a reason that Black Swan is the only Best Picture nominee that does not have a nod for Best Screenplay.  To be honest, the screenplay for Black Swan really isn't that good.  I can't think of a single zippy line or phrase that stuck out as brilliant.  Take into consideration that it's a movie about ballet (snore, right?), and you're talking one tough job putting it all together.  So how did he do it?  Aronofsky, known for disturbing, nearly unwatchable flicks, saw the potential for a great movie and made a mountain out of an anthill.  I believe he deserves the Oscar for meeting the challenge, and catching the vision of something few others could have seen.     

WHO THEY'LL PICK (PROBABLY):

DAVID FINCHER- THE SOCIAL NETWORK

For the longest time, I thought Hollywood saw something I didn't in David Fincher.  I enjoyed Fight Club, but still refuse to acknowledge it as the decade-defining feature it's made out to be.  I had no idea how the snore-fest of Benjamin Button managed to get so many nominations outside of its source material.  Zodiac has been in my Netflix queue for ages.  Then I see The Social Network, a movie I expected to be another boring let down.  Wrong!  Fincher's approach to the genesis of Facebook, mainly through its creator Mark Zuckerberg, was nothing short of brilliant.  This movie touched exactly what it should have: not focusing on Facebook itself, but on our interaction and communication with one another.  Though I favor Aronofsky for this one, it won't hurt my feelings at all to see Fincher give the speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment