Friday, February 25, 2011

Best Animated Feature

WHO I'D PICK:

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON

Pixar has been doing what they do and dominating animation for the past few years.  But this year's best put Dreamworks back on top, if only for a short while.  A great story about putting aside hate and finding friends in unlikely places, Dragon was a movie that looked disappointing in previews, but left me needing to see it again.  Who doesn't want their own dragon?  Who wouldn't love to take their date flying through the midnight sky?  It's magic.  Plus, it boasts a great performance by the speechless Toothless, which makes up for Hiccup's occasionally annoying banter.  Oh if only I'd been around to see it in 3-D.

FAVORITE MOMENT:  Hiccup takes his long-time crush Astrid on a nighttime flight accentuated with possibly the best musical score to come out this year.

WHO THEY'LL PICK (PROBABLY):

TOY STORY 3

I'm pretty sure I don't need the probably on this one.  I have caught a lot of flack for my opinion on the closing chapter of Woody and Buzz's adventures.  Let's face it, this movie is not winning for itself, it's winning for a legacy that rocked the face of animation forever.  Truthfully, I found Toy Story 3's story to be fairly shallow and uninspiring at times.  You can only address the same problem so much: we'll be forgotten, should we live in the moment or abandon who we love before he does likewise?  They handled those dilemmas with the first two films.  Not to say I didn't love many of 3's moments, especially the opening homage to the first movie's beginning, which I remember loving as a kid.  But this movie doesn't win for one, it wins for all, which is bittersweet because I always wanted to see the original classic get more than an honorary award.
FAVORITE MOMENT:  The good spirited toys of Bonnie's tea party were welcome additions to the family.  A little improv goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment